City of Markham    
Markham Register of Property of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
Address: 144 MAIN ST N
Original Address: Associated address: 140 Main Street North
Property Legal Description: PLAN 18 LOTS 7-8 PT LOT 9 BLK N PLAN 18 PT LOT 1 BLK M 65R8563 PTS 1 2 & 3
Historical Name: Wilson- MacDonald House
Heritage Conservation District: Markham Village
Ward: 4
Year Built: 1888
Architect Style: Queen Anne Revival
Heritage Status of Property: Part IV (Individual)
Designation Bylaw: 278-85
Heritage Easement Agreement: No
History Description
Henry Wilson was a successful general merchant in Markham Village. In 1887, Henry and Clementine Wilson purchased this property and a fine buff brick house was constructed for them in 1888, as noted in an article in the Markham Economist in November of that year. A frame general store was located on the north side of the house, attached by a small link. On the second floor of the store was a milliner and dress shop. Wilson’s Variety Hall was relocated to the Markham Museum in the mid-1980s and restored after serving as a garage and storage building for a number of years after it was moved back on the property. In 1917, the property was purchased by Dr. John A. MacDonald to serve as his residence and medical office. An addition was made to the rear of the house in 1918 to contain the office. His daughter, Innis MacDonald, was one of the first women in Canada to earn a medical degree. She took over the family practice in 1945. Dr. Innis MacDonald was a noted eye specialist. She lived here and had her practice in this house until she passed away in 1983.
Contemporary Photograph Heritage Photograph
Key Map
Please note that the yellow polygon symbol is not indicative of the actual heritage area and is only meant to highlight the property the heritage building(s) is located at. For a complete description of the actual heritage property please refer to the Designation Bylaw found above.

  © Corporation of the City of Markham