City of Markham    
Markham Register of Property of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
Address: 40 MAIN ST N
Original Address:
Property Legal Description: PLAN 18 PT LOT 6 PT BLK P 65R18037 PT 3
Historical Name: Barkey-Jaynes Row Houses
Heritage Conservation District: Markham Village
Ward: 4
Year Built: c. 1890
Architect Style: Second Empire
Heritage Status of Property: Part IV (Individual)
Designation Bylaw: 329-87
Heritage Easement Agreement: No
History Description
David Barkey, a farmer in Pickering with a Pennsylvania German Mennonite background, purchased a half acre on Lot 6, Block P, Plan 18 in 1887. The seller was John Park of Stouffville, who had purchased the property from his father, James Park, a Markham Village carpenter-builder. As a non-resident, David Barkey purchased this property as an investment and a group of three row houses were constructed here in partnership with Philander Jaynes, a carpenter from Pickering. Jaynes was married to David Barkey’s daughter, Rachel. The row houses were said to have been designed to rent to workers in local industries such as the Speight Wagon Company. Barkey’s ownership was brief. In 1891, the property was sold to Philander Jaynes who later lost the property due to unpaid mortgages. In the mid-1970s, the building was converted to commercial use on the main floor.
Contemporary Photograph Heritage Photograph
Key Map
Please note that the yellow polygon symbol is not indicative of the actual heritage area and is only meant to highlight the property the heritage building(s) is located at. For a complete description of the actual heritage property please refer to the Designation Bylaw found above.

  © Corporation of the City of Markham